Monday, September 10, 2012

Adjusting my Harris Benedict Coefficient.

For a long, long time 1400 was my magic number.

My basal metabolic rate was 1428.5, and I factored in a multiplier that accounted for the step just above sedentary.  As a resident, I did spend most of my day walking, and I usually made my team climb stairs whenever possible.  So to run at a 500 calorie deficit every day, I aimed for 1400.

I knew the caloric content of every piece of food in the resident lounge.  (Of course, it was usually the same combination of pop, chips, cereal, sandwiches and the much-fought-over banana)

Over time, I got a little obsessive over the number.   It wasn't uncommon to find me exercising on the Wii Fit at 9 PM so I could hit 120 calories burned and I could have a glass of wine after.

Looking back, it's cringe-inducing to see how wrong I was on my own nutrition.

Sure, I could set up the perfect blend of lipids and carbs for a septic patient with ventilator weaning issues in the ICU.  I could rattle off the importance of respiratory quotients and protein balance.

All while I was chowing down on starched carbohydrates and getting to the gym every blue moon.

It's no wonder that derby kicked my rear in the beginning - I had zero conditioning and was giving my body crap fuel.

These days, I've let go of the numbers.  I just had no more use for them - not when I know I need to get a good balance of protein, fiber and to hydrate as much as possible.  Hence the "rules" (which do get broken on occasion, I am no saint.)

1.  Thou shalt not drink calories. (unless it is to prevent Acute Loss of Sanity)

Pop is held in reserve for when other caffeine is not accessible. (Think about how often you want something salty to go with your Diet Coke)   I stick to coffee with splenda or unsweet tea (it helps to be a yankee here) Foofy coffee drinks are also verboten.  Example of the exceptions: 6 admits in the ER by 10pm or an excellent single-malt scotch on the rocks.

Example of a sanity-preserving margaritas, circa intern year.

2. Thou shalt keep water on hand.  

I hate the waste that is plastic water bottles, but after losing half a dozen re-fillable bottles, I accepted defeat. I do refill them when at home and for practices, at least.   I shoot for 4 bottles a day.  (Peeing clear is a good goal.)

3. Thou shalt not consume alcohol for 24 hours before hardcore skating.

You will feel it in your body when you're dehydrated and one of the most effective over-the-counter diuretics is alcohol.  For example, I broke 2 of my rules last night (one can't expect me to have ginger ale in the house and NOT mix it with whiskey...) and was dragging at practice today as a result.

4. Break thy fast.

Don't let yourself become a no-breakfast person.  I took this one from Alton Brown (to be honest, my whole regimen borrows heavily from his excellent episode of Good Eats, "Live and Let Diet".  Seriously, go watch it.) and it's a good rule.  Now that you've started revving your basal metabolic rate with regular exercise, fasting for 12+ hours at a time is just foolish.

5. Honor the protein, and keep it lean.

I trust the holy trinity of proteins: Fish, Nuts and man-made.  It took some time to learn how to cook fish in a relatively low fat way (tuna and salmon are the easiest I've found) and I switched my go-to-snack from cereal to raw almonds.  I laughed the first time the GIANT TUB O' PROTEIN (which always calls to mind Weight Gain 4000 from South Park) made its way into my cart, but there's really no better way to get my breakfast smoothie into the protein regime.   (My favourite, BTW: banana, frozen strawberries, orange/carrot juice, scoop vanilla protein powder)

That's it.  I refuse to wage war on carbs - a life without rice, potatoes or pasta is just not worth it for me.  I don't do paleo, and there's definitely processed materials in my daily diet.  But I can usually keep to these five rules, and they've served me well so far.

Leaner and Meaner these days...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I wear the badge holder.

I don't wear My hospital insignia on my badge holder, that ubiquitous piece of plastic that medical folks use to display their alleg...